Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act (2009) – Gives employees 6 months to file pay discrimination cases after each paycheck. Although Brad Sherman voted for this bill, the Congressman fails to practice what he preaches!
- Sherman pays men 1.2M more than qualified females working in similar jobs over the past 11 years
- Of Sherman’s 8 chiefs of staff, only one was a woman
- 6 out of the seven male chiefs of staff made more than she did, even though many had less experience
- Women staffers on average are paid only 53 cents on the dollar compared to men for comparable work.
This issue is more than just about equal pay for equal work. It also speaks to how women are viewed in the workforce. Wage gaps between men and women will have a lasting impact on families as well.
- When a woman retires, her benefits will be 23% lees than the guy who had the same job she did.
- Over her lifetime, the average woman loses enough in wages to feed a family of 4 for 37 years.
- A typical woman who works full time, year round will lose $443,360 in a 40-year period due to the wage gap.
noun ( pl. -sies)
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one’s own behavior does not conform; pretense.
In Eco Twist, Exercise Machines Power Gym: http://t.co/oU3l1d68 #workitout — Earth911 (@Earth911)
Green Technology: The challenges of going green – Extras – New Straits Times http://t.co/4MCU6a5s — ShiftRecycling (@ShiftRecycling)
Feds Shift Focus to E-Waste http://t.co/yHnDrLjR via @Earth911 — sfvewaste (@sfvewaste)
Toxic trade: why junk electronics should be big business | Ars Technica http://t.co/VRwF0uCL — sfvewaste (@sfvewaste)